Electronic publications are sustainable and unfold their advantages only if they are archived securely, can be easily retrieved and are freely accessible worldwide. That's why we're opening The Stacks for you!
Visit The Stacks at thestacks.libaac.de!
The Stacks is the interdisciplinary Open Access repository for American Studies, Anglophone Literatures & Cultures, Australian and New Zealand Studies, British and Irish Studies, Canadian Studies and English in Germany, provided by the Library of Anglo-American Culture & History.
In The Stacks you can archive
- articles, blog articles, book reviews, monographs and other proceedings
- journals and other periodicals
in electronic or retro-digitised form, provided you have the right to do so.
We also offer to publish and archive
- conference reports
- calls for papers
- conference programmes, books of abstracts
- conference papers
- course material (course descriptions, syllabi).
If you would like to upload other types of material, please contact us.
All uploaded material is made available Open Access, either immediately or after the time span you choose.
Before you publish in The Stacks, please read about the legal aspects you have to consider.
- Higher visibility: Your publication will be found by search engines such as Google, Google Scholar, Yahoo or BASE.
- Accessibility independent of time and location
- Your publication is archived and saved by a non-profit institution within the realm of German data privacy law.
- Citability: By the permanent Digital Object Identifier (DOI) your electronic publication will be clearly identifiable and citable.
- Document your achievements: By publishing preprints (author's versions) and conference papers you can document your research results as your achievement at an early point. By publishing conference programmes, reports and course material you can prove your organizing and teaching experience as well as research interests which don't show in your list of publications yet.
For scholars it is naturally very important to publish their research output at a venue of high quality and renown. As far as electronic publications are concerned however, it is as important to ensure that they are freely accessible and can be read by anyone who wants or needs to do so. However if they have to be licensed, their availability can be severely limited and cause high costs for libraries or single readers.
So if you think about publishing electronically or even founding an electronic journal, do inform yourself about the possibilities to publish Open Access.
- Ensure that the results of your academic work can be accessed freely by your fellow researchers and interested readers worldwide!
Enhanced visibility and usability
Researchers find your printed publications because they are indexed in library catalogues and bibliographic databases. They can access them in libraries or buy them. But if you provide them also as electronic full text and Open Access, they can be retrieved, accessed, saved, distributed, searched through and worked with even better, free of technical or financial barriers.
Thus your work will have more impact!
Free and immediate availability worldwide
If you publish in print, your publications are available in bookshops, libraries and via interlibrary loan accessible in Germany and some other countries. Libraries which are not so well equipped however - particularly in countries facing other more pressing problems - might not be able to offer their readers all the resources they need for study and research.
By making your printed publications available Open Access you contribute to equal opportunities for students and scholars worldwide!